Monday, February 7, 2011

Brussels Sprouts with Shallot-Browned Butter

Normally when I make Brussels Sprouts I go for my recipe of Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Shallots.  I mean, who doesn't love bacon?!  But this time I was all out of bacon (tragedy, I know!) So I thought I would change up the recipe a bit and create a Browned Butter Sauce for them to add a nice nuttiness to the brussels sprouts.  They turned out delicious, and all agreed that the sauce worked perfectly with the them, balancing the flavors just right.  Browned Butter is so easy to make, but you do have to pay attention the entire time because it can quickly go from being Brown Butter to Burned Butter.  


Brussels Sprouts with Shallot-Browned Butter
1 pound Brussels sprouts, rinsed
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup finely chopped shallots

Cut off the stem end of the Brussels sprouts and remove any yellowing outer leaves. If large, cut each Brussels sprout in half from top to bottom. (mine were kinda small so I left them whole). Place the Brussels sprouts, water and salt into a 3 to 4-quart sauce pan and cover. Place over high heat and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.

For the Browned Butter: Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; whisking frequently.  Cook about 10 minutes or until lightly browned and releasing a wonderful nutty flavor. The butter will foam up a bit and then subside.  Look at the bottom of the pan, little brown specks should be beginning to form.  Be so careful not to burn! Add shallots; cook 1 minute. Add Brussels Sprouts; cook 1 minute, tossing to coat. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails